- 1 Best Compound Miter Saw – The Winners!!
- 2 Best Compound Miter Saw – Our Top Picks 2017!
- 2.1 Top Pick — DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- 2.2 Best Buy — Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- 2.3 Recommendation #1 — DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- 2.4 Recommendation #2 — DEWALT DW716 15 Amp 12-Inch Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- 2.5 Recommendation #3 — DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- 2.6 Recommendation #4 — Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw
- 2.7 Recommendation #5 — DEWALT DW713 15 Amp 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw
- 3 Compound Miter Saws — An Introduction
- 4 How to Choose the Best Compound Miter Saws?
- 5 Usage and Maintenance Tips for Comound Milter Saws
Last updated: July 3rd 2017.
There are many products that we badly wanted to buy — but we didn’t, just because we were a bit confused about the selection process. We bet Power Tools were one of them. Don’t worry, here. UpHomes, one of the best initiatives we have taken, is extending the review sections to Power Tools as well. To start with, we have selected a tool that is equally needed for all sorts of woodwork — Compound Miter Saw. We know a lot of DIY-ers, Carpenters, etc. Don’t worry about the authenticity here, because UpHomes Labs has added a few experienced professional, well versed with various power tools into the Reviewing Team.
Selecting the best picks for Best Compound Miter Saw was no easy task. Even before we began, we needed to shortlist the products from the huge set. We got off the non-trusted manufacturers first and also got rid of ultra-expensive and ultra-affordable ones. When it came to actually using and reviewing, there were 20+ Miter Saws in our collection, shipped into UpHomes Labs. While the professional reviewers team spent time in cutting different materials using these products, our Analysis team was there to take care of their stress, ease of use and precision of results.
In the end, we have got the necessary Quick Recommendations for your best compound miter saw needs.
Best Compound Miter Saw – The Winners!!
Best Buy – Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp
Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw would be our suggestion if you have a shorter budget to keep. It works like as you expect it to be, without compromising precision or quality. We’d say it’s good-enough for professionals and casual users.
Best Compound Miter Saw – Our Top Picks 2017!
We hope you are interested in knowing more about these machines. We’ll move on to detailed reviews. It’s to be noted that we have changed the review style a bit, to include the professional tips from Uphome’s expert team.
After reviewing more than 20 compound miter saws, we do believe DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw is the best choice you can make. It’s a combination of rugged build, quality and the precision of cutting process. If you are a serious woodworker — no matter professional or passionate —, you can have this product for your workshop. Moreover, DEWALT is one of the trusted names in the entire industry of Power Tools.
As you would have read from the name, DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw offer the Double Bevel Sliders, which are good for making crosscuts, quite effortlessly. It’s powered by a 15-Amp motor, which has a maximum rate of 3800 RPM. According to the expert review, the performance was just impressive and we had tried different materials like wood and metal. John, who has been using the product for more than 4 Years, said that the performance has been consistent in the course of time. It has a relatively-lower weight of 56lbs, making it easy for portable working conditions.
One thing we loved a lot in DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw is advanced set of cutting options. For instance, the product has vertical capacity of 7.75”, nested crown capacity of 7.5”, horizontal capacity of 13-7/8”. Thanks to the cool design, we could get Back Fence designs of 2×16 and 2×12 with ease. To make the cutting process easier, DEWALT has included 10 positive stops, on either sides of the bevel. Apart from all these, you are getting a 3-Year Limited Warranty and 90-day Money Back Guarantee.
We repeat, this product is recommended for professional woodworking needs, which require an advanced set of features and customizability.
When we wanted to recommend a budget-friendly compound miter saw for our readers, were undoubtedly fixed on Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw. It was amazing to find a superb mixture of performance and features in this single product. As we talked with people, we found that the saw is being used by a huge number of professionals. This Hitachi saw is popular among casual DIY-ers as well. By the way, if you want, you can get a special variant with Laser Marker, by paying a few dollars more.
Inside, Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw has a 15-Amp motor, which we’d found to be effective for wood-cutting and metal-based stuff. The maximum speed would be 5000RPM and that was good-enough to go. We must say, it feels pretty premium to handle and operate the saw, thanks to its well-placed grip and the vibration-reducer. When we asked Adam — a casual DIY-er who is using it for a while —, he is pretty much satisfied with the performance and accuracy of cutting. He was using the same for not just woodwork but also for plastic materials.
Cutting capacities of this saw are equally impressive. For instance, the maximum height is 2-5/16 while the depth goes to 5-21/32, which are cool for the price you pay. Another thing we loved in the device is the minimal weight of just 26.3lbs. We had no trouble in moving this product everywhere and getting jobs done. It also offers a bunch of positive stops, and these can be managed using your own thumb.
Go for Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw if you’d need a compact design, performance and a low price tag.
Recommendation #1 — DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
If you have a mediocre amount of money to invest, we recommend DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw, for both high-end and basic needs. Even before testing, we were confident about its performance and durability. As per what previous customers say, this particular compound miter saw can be a lasting pick for your hardware inventory. Despite the higher set of specifications and features, DEWALT has made this saw equally usable from common point of view. The best-quality speed and precision are complemented by the 15-Amp motor, at 3800RPM. Let’s have a look at the experience.
Cutting wood and other things was easy using DEWALT DWS779 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw, thanks to its ergonomic design and extended cutting capacity. For instance, we had no trouble in getting Back Fence Design Cuts up to 2×16 and Dimension Lumber at 90 Degrees and 2×12 at 45 Degrees. While considering the ease of use, this is a huge amount of cutting capacity we would expect. It uses a special system for positioning the blade, giving us the best, accurate outputs. Altogether, we think this saw is worth the amount you pay and is offering a seamless cross-cutting experience.
Recommendation #2 — DEWALT DW716 15 Amp 12-Inch Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
This is another recommendation if you have a medium budget to take care of. As you can see from its name, it’s a 12-inch Double Bevel Miter saw, giving you the advanced options of wood-cutting. Just like the other saws we have recommended from DEWALT, this one is also accurate when it comes to cut. We found that 12-inched blade to be working perfectly, backed by the 15-Amp motor with 3600RPM. The overall speed & stability were just superb. The miter capacity is 0 to 50 Degrees — both right and left —, which is impressive.
Handling is smooth as a wind in DEWALT DW716 15 Amp 12-Inch Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw. For keeping the process seamless, the product offers 11 Positive Stops. In our experiences, these were really a time-saver. At the same time, the tall fence was able to deal with extra-large moulding as well. In short, the performance and usability were just up to the mark. If you are ready to spend more, you can also purchase a compatible laser system and get it done. It also comes with a dust bag, for extra convenience. Majority of customers have purchased the product for extra comfort and usability features.
Recommendation #3 — DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Are you ready to lose the double-bevel functionality for saving some money? Then, you can consider this in the list. We don’t say it’s the most affordable product in list, but, in comparison, you are going to save a lot of money. When compared to the other products in our list, DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw is compact and lightweight. You don’t have to put much effort to keep and carry this saw around. Despite that, you are getting a 15-Apm motor inside. The maximum speed is 4000RPM, which we found up to the mark.
Along with the state-of-the-art performance, the product offers better capacities as well. For instance, we’d no trouble in getting a 45 Degree bevel cut on a 2×8 Lumber. Also, thanks to the 11 Positive Stops, it feels a lot easier to change the levels. Hass says that the saw worked perfectly for his 600 Square Feet Flooring job without any issues. Given the price you are paying; this is something commendable for sure. Its weight has been brought down to 42lbs, giving us all the options of portability ahead. Altogether, you can purchase this compound miter saw with confidence.
Recommendation #4 — Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw
Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw might be the most affordable dual-layer miter saw it is possible to have from the current market. The best part is that you are getting a laser-powered marker for accurate cutting and controls, which is a big deal. With a 15-Amp motor at 4000RPM inside, we were able to get jobs done with wood, metal and plastic stuff. Thanks to the better handling and options, there were no sorts of slipping or malfunctions, whatsoever. It needs to be noted that, for half the price of our top pick, it offers a complete package.
Coming to the cutting efficiency, Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw has a bevel range of 48 Degrees to the right or left sides. Also, the miter range can be chosen anything between 52 Degrees, both right and left. Also, the knob seems to be helpful for better placement of lumber and stuff. Even when we’d tried huge-enough material, the performance was impressive. The cutting height is 2-5/16” and the depth has been put to 5-21/32. We hope that’s something superb we hadn’t expected for the price tag. The device also has a dust bag for waste collection. In light of all these, it’s a worthwhile product you can count in.
Recommendation #5 — DEWALT DW713 15 Amp 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw
With this budget-friendly DEWALT DW713 15 Amp 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw, we are going to end our list of the best compound miter saw collections from the market. Despite the lower price tag, you are getting a versatile miter saw that can be used for woodworking and as a portable saw. Chances are, this would suit you well when you are a casual DIY-er or an occasional professional. Once again, you can spot a 15-Amp motor inside the machine, but the speed has been brought up to 5000RPM. This extended power was cool, especially from judging the pricing point of view.
Coming to usability handling, DEWALT DW713 15 Amp 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw is more or less like all the other products from DEWALT. We needed not much effort to set up the system or start cutting with it. For one, it offers 11 Positive Stops. These stops were just impressive when we had tried different types of cutting material with the machine. Also, the tall sliding fence proved very useful in the course of time. If you need a well-performing compound miter saw for your everyday needs, we would love to recommend it, due to the low pricing and impressive features.
So, you have seen our top recommendations for the best compound miter saw devices in the market. Now, we will have some general information about this popular type of power tools. And we will start off with an introduction to Compound Miter Saws. After that, we will get some buying-oriented information such as the factors of utmost consideration, which type of miter saws you should use and the major benefits of using them at your home.
Compound Miter Saws — An Introduction
We hope you are aware about miter saws, which are a particular type of saws used for creating accurate and sharp crosscuts. The same devices can be used to make angled cuts. Miter Saws are used by a huge variety of professionals such as carpenters, woodworkers, DIY-ers and even some common people who would love to experiment with wood and furniture. So, whether you are a professional or have a semi-professional work area at your home, you can consider purchasing a miter saw for that purpose. Different types of miter saws are available in the market and Compound Miter Saws are perhaps the most impressive and popular ones in the list. It is probably due to the combination of affordable pricing and rich features.
Simply put, a Compound Miter Saw is a type of miter saw that can create price, angled cuts for a wide variety of purposes. When compared to the basic counterparts, these devices offer an advanced set of cuts and precision. For instance, you will be able to make different types of cuts using a compound miter saw — which are Crosscuts, Bevel Cuts, Miter Cuts and Compound Cuts. Here, compound cut refers to combination of miter + bevel cuts. If you have been working in the woodworking industry, you know how these cuts are required in different scenarios. So, considering these points, compound miter saws are somewhat essential for your day-to-day needs of cutting wood and other material.
One more thing about compound miter saws is the advanced functionality. These devices will be fine to work with heavy-duty materials. With some of those products, you can cut even concrete and metal. That having said, if you are a novice in the world of this cutting thing, you may have some trouble in using it. So, we do recommend these products when you know the basics of using a miter saw. Summing up, we can say that a compound miter saw is a meaningful combination of power, functionality and versatile design.
Who Needs It?
There is no clear-cut answer as to the question who needs compound miter saws. It’s a widely-used product by professional carpenters, woodworkers, DIY-ers and even some common people. As we said, the primary function is to make accurate cuts on wood moulding, be it angled or straight. So, you would need the help of such a tool when you want to make some boxes, frames, or even some doors. In the end, there is no limit for the use of these devices. If you think you need more accurate cuts for the job to be done, you can have one of the best compound miter saws from the market. It’s that simple, though the selection can be tough.
Different Types of Compound Miter Saws
We already mentioned that compound miter saws are a particular type of miter saws. Now, there are a few classifications to the concept of compound miter saws. The available options are as follows:
- Common Miter Saws
This type of compound miter saw comes with single-bevel and are called the natural ones. In these devices, bevel cuts are restricted to single direction. You can move left (or, right in some devices) to make a bevel cut on the wood. This is common and used by a lot of professionals across the globe.
- Dual-Bevel or Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saws
As you can guess from the name, Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saws come with two bevels. This gives you an advantage of moving the device into two sides for making bevel cuts. Thanks to the dual bevels, you will not have any trouble in making cuts from either sides — and you don’t have to flip the material to do that.
- Sliding Compound Miter Saws
This is the third type of compound miter saws, with the impressive option of sliding. You can slide the saw in forward and backward directions. This would be helpful when you have a large piece of wood or metal to be cut.
Well, these are the three types of compound miter saws you can purchase from the current market. In our list, we have included products from all these categories. That is one of the reasons why you can spot a huge difference between the pricing. As you can guess, the first two options are good for starters, while the third one is recommended for those who are well-versed with compound miter saws and their applications.
How to Choose the Best Compound Miter Saws?
As you can guess, there are a few things you should keep in mind, if you want to choose one of the superb compound miter saws in the list. They are apart from the amount of power and size you need. Following aspects may seem to be simple, but they make bigger differences in practice.
- Positive Stops are quite useful for adjusting the bevel. These stops are usually set by manufacturer, during the production, to make the bevel cuts easier. If there are more positive stops, it will be easy for you to increase productivity. Instead of selecting all the stops by yourself, you can just adjust the available ones using your thumb. Given that you need customized bevel cuts, you should ensure the presence of extra adjustments as well.
- If you are looking for accurate cuts, Laser Guide is an effective feature for sure. While cutting a piece of wood or metal, you should know the exact position and angle. Some miter saws have an in-built laser system to guide you through the cutting. This feature is more recommended for professionals.
- If you don’t want to compromise the speed and stability, you should check the Motor Speed before you make the purchase. In our list, almost all the compound miter saws come with 15-Amp motor and varying speeds. You can spot the speed between 3000 RPM to 5000 RPM. These selections must be based on what you are going to cut and the depth and thickness of the products to be cut.
- Dust Collection is an impressive feature if you are going to make the cuts into a huge amount of stuff like wood and metal. There may be an extreme amount of waste that may damage your machine. In that case, a dust-collection bag is a worthwhile advantage. Most of our recommended products have one or more method for dust reduction and removal. Both these options are good for the longevity of your miter saw.
- Ergonomics is another aspect you should look in a compound miter saw, especially if you are going to use it on a regular basis. Most importantly, the handle should be firm and should give a premium feel when you hold it. It’s great if you can go for high-quality material and ergonomic design.
- Last but not the least, Blade of the compound miter saw is an important thing of consideration. The blade should be selected based on the type of cutting needs. Most saws come with standard blades, but the compatibility is another aspect. You should make sure that the saw supports a variety of saw blades, from the same manufacturer or the other.
Just keep these aspects in your mind and you would come across one of the best compound miter saws from the market. Or, for easier steps, you can make one pick from our 7 recommended products. We have taken all the above mentioned factors into consideration for selecting those products.
Usage and Maintenance Tips for Comound Milter Saws
Here are a bunch of tips that will help you for extended use and maintenance of the compound miter saw you have purchased.
- Before you start using the product, we recommend going through the usage manual. Even though it can be used according to basic principles, there may be some additional features or options that you don’t want to miss. Be a bit more careful while setting up the product on stand or someplace else. It is so, because a wrong placement can cause you troubles.
- After every session, make sure that the dust is removed as much as possible. It’s great if you have a miter saw with integrated options for dust collection. Even if there is no option, you can try cleaning the machine after it’s completely turned off and heat-free. We don’t recommend touching the blade within a few minutes. If you have been using the product for a while, we suggest waiting for an extra amount of time.
- Another tips is to wear some safety glasses and ear-protection while using these products. Because compound miter saws are comparatively over-powered, they may create a noticeable amount of noise as well. This won’t be good for your eyes; nor can you do anything if some piece of wood is to be thrown against your eyes. So, as a precaution, you can select one of the appropriate safety modes.
- Before you start using, make sure that the electrical settings are up to the mark. If there are some of the issues with electrical management, your machine would end up in trouble. This is cool and won’t take more than a few steps from your time schedule.
So, these are our valued tips for usage and maintenance of your compound miter saw. Keep them in your mind while getting started and thoroughly using the machine.
Just like we have mentioned again and again, there is no certainty about when you need a compound miter saw and when you don’t need one. If you love to work with wood, carvings or picture frames, this would be an essential gadget for your home and the hardware inventory. So, by spending a few dollars, we suggest you to get one of the best compound miter saws from the above list. Because our Professional Team has used the product thoroughly — in a long period of around 2 weeks —, you don’t have to worry about their quality or features.