- 1 Best Electric Fireplace – The Winners!!
- 2 Best Electric Fireplace Models 2017
- 2.1 Best of the Best — Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace
- 2.2 Best Bang for Your Buck — AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater
- 2.3 Contender #1 — Jasper Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove
- 2.4 Contender #2 — Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace
- 2.5 Contender #3 — Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
- 2.6 Contender #4 — Narita Media Electric Fireplace
- 2.7 Contender #5 — e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove
- 3 What is an Electric Fireplace? Is it Good or Bad?
- 4 Considerations for Choosing the Best Electric Fireplace
Last updated: May 2nd 2017.
Aren’t you looking for the best electric fireplace for you home? Well, you cannot go to the store and randomly select one. From Heat Output to Features and from Assembling to Control, you’ve to consider different aspects before selection. To help you with that, we have a curated list of the best electric fireplaces, suitable for different budgets and needs.
Best Electric Fireplace – The Winners!!
Best Electric Fireplace Models 2017
Now, we will have a briefer review of the best electric fireplaces you’d come across in today’s market. We would discuss different aspects of each fireplace, such as the heat output, controls, ease of use and assembling.
Best of the Best — Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace
If you have a big budget, Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace is the best electric fireplace you can get today.
Design & Assembling
Design-wise, it offers the best feel of a traditional fireplace, because it uses high-end technology for multicolour flames, burning logs and dynamic effects. All these are enhanced by the classic brick style interior of the fireplace. You can get Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace in three colours — Ebony, Classic Expresso and Mission Oak. Depending on where you want to place this fireplace, you can choose the colour. Talking of dimensions, it would fit a flat panel TV. Cartwright Convertible does not come assembled. However, you can manually assemble in less than an hour or so. According to customers, the assembling process is simple.
Heat input of Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace is also an impressive factor. You can connect it to the standard wall outlets, use the included power cord. Once connected, this fireplace can offer a temperature of 62-82 Degrees. That is, you can get satisfactory heat in an area of 400 Square Feet. So, when things become chill, you can simply turn this on to make things perfect. By the way, you also get an awesome lighting ambience, thanks to the use of energy-efficient LED Bulbs.
Controls & Safety
Controlling Cartwright Convertible is done through the remote. You can adjust the timer, thermostat, flames and logs — all individually. If you just need the fireplace ambience, you can simply turn off the heater. There are no controls on the fireplace; so, don’t worry about children doing anything. Also, for the safety purposes, there is a self-regulating feature. Once the pre-set temperature has been reached, the heater will be turned off.
Best Bang for Your Buck — AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater
In this electric fireplace review, AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater grabs the position for the value-for-your-money choice.
Design & Assembling
Judging by the design, AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater does not look traditional. It is more of a modern option for households. However, if you have an existing gas fireplace or wood fireplace, you can simply put this inside. It’s coming with a patented electric flame technology that offers realistic flame image and ember bed. However, you can alter the settings to get more effects and looks. It does not have crackling sound, though. In addition, the assembling part of AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater is very easy. In the simplest form, you can create a box and place it in.
For powering up the fireplace, you can connect it to a 120V Household outlet. The company does not mention the option for temperature. However, in light of experience, AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater is emitting a significant amount of heat through the blower. You can easily heat up your hall or the small bedroom in the shortest time. Heat will be controlled via thermostat, so, no worries. This fireplace supports three temperature settings you can choose from.
Controls & Safety
Once again, we have a remote control for temperature management and fan settings. However, if you don’t have access to remote, you can use the buttons on the front portion of this fireplace. This way, you can adjust the temperature and several other settings, such as turning the heater on. In short, AKDY 28″ Black Electric Firebox Fireplace Heater is offering ample options for control. There aren’t many safety-oriented features to talk about.
Contender #1 — Jasper Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove
As you can see from the design, it’s a Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove. It means that you don’t need additional space or hardware to assemble this fireplace. Instead, you can place it wherever you like — given that an electric connection is available there. And the best part is that it can be plugged into any of the common household wall outlets. In terms of its design, Jasper Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove is the best choice for an easily-portable fireplace for your home. Its dimensions are 25”x23”x11”, which is quite moderate to go with. It shows ultra-realistic flames along with the glass doors. Assembling this won’t be a tough job, because of its portable nature — you just need a screwdriver.
In this aspect, Jasper Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove is something worthier than its price. The heater in this fireplace is supposed to heat 400 Square Feet of space. So, this would be suitable for your rooms, small halls and living areas. It has a fan-forced heater, but the controls help you distribute heat in an effective manner. On top of all these, this fireplace has two 40W Bulbs for lighting.
Jasper Free Standing Electric Fireplace Stove does not have remote access to controls. Instead, you can use the control panel on front. There you can adjust temperature, flame intensity and the fan speed. These are basic controls but do the job very well. There aren’t many safety-based features, but the build quality seems promising.
Contender #2 — Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace
Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace is yet another traditional-looking fireplace you’d get — if you have a higher budget to afford. This fireplace comes with a Burnished Walnut finish, which is quite suitable for most households. It can be placed in different parts of room or hall, without much preparation stuff. However, it is showing truly realistic flame effects, probably due to the patent technology. If not for the looks, you will love Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace for the easy installation. In less than half an hour, you can get going with it. The firebox is 23 Inches and can be portable at times.
Coming to the heating output, Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace can heat up an area of 400 Sq. Feet. Thus, it becomes an impressive choice for moderate families. However, you have the option to operate the fireplace without heating — if you just need the ambience. Also, the thermostat makes sure that your room is heated in the right manner.
For controls, Dimplex Holbrook DFP4765BW Traditional Electric Fireplace has a remote. Using this, you can turn on and turn off the device — or the heater, in some cases. Overall, the control options are good and you won’t mess up with any issues. You can just turn it on and enjoy the heat and show. Just go for this if you like the traditional design and easy usage.
Contender #3 — Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
Are you looking for a wall-mounted electric fireplace? Then, Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace will make enough sense. It’s one of the best-selling electric fireplaces that has a different design. Unlike the most products in our list, this one can be mounted on the wall. Be it your living room, bedroom or hall, you can simply place this device and it should work fine. Obviously, you can expect the best quality, realistic flames display with dynamic effects. It’s available in White and Black colours; you can pick according to your house styling. Being wall-mounted, it takes minutes to install this fireplace.
Despite the smaller size, Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace has enough power to heat up an area of 400 Square Feet. However, if you want, you can turn off the Heating feature and just enjoy the show. Two heat options are available and there’s an Auto Shut-off Timer to take care of power management. It does not have many options for lighting.
Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace has remote-less control. Due to the lack of thermostat, you can’t change the temperature. Instead, you can choose one heat setting from the duo. However, the Auto Shut Off Timer is an awesome feature for safety-conscious people. You don’t have to worry about unnecessary heating after you’ve slept. In light of all these, Touchstone 80001 Onyx is just awesome for how much you pay.
Contender #4 — Narita Media Electric Fireplace
Narita Media Electric Fireplace is another awesome product from Southern Enterprises. This fireplace is available in two colour variants — Expresso and Glazed Pine. In terms of design, it’s a fully-fledged fireplace that comes with the corresponding frame. You can place even a 46” Flat TV on top of this. It means Narita Media Electric Fireplace is huge enough to consume some space from your rooms. The fire effect is enhanced through different methods such as the dynamic effects, burning logs, multicolour flames. In addition to these, there are efficient LED Bulbs for illumination purposes. In addition to the fireplace, the entire design contains two media shelves, 2 cabinets, 2 cord management openings and 2 adjustable shelves.
If we take the case of heat output, Narita Media Electric Fireplace can easily heat a room of 400 Square Feet room. This fireplace offers a temperature rating of 62 Degrees to 82 Degrees and you can adjust the heat in 4-Degree intervals. The best part is that you can connect this fireplace to a common household power outlet. The heater is self-regulating. Once the room has pre-set temperature, the heater will be turned off, thus saving energy.
Coming to the control aspect, a fully-fledged remote is available. Using the remote, you can adjust the temperature, timer, burning logs, flames etc. To prevent kids from accessing the remote, you can use the Child Safety Lock. It is to be noted that the front glass does not get heated, but stays cool all along.
Contender #5 — e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove
e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove is a kickass choice if you need a stove-based design for your fireplace. Along with this exceptional design, you get the benefits of ultra-portability and anyplace compatibility. As you can see, it’s more like the traditional stove, with fire and burning logs inside and the heater vent outside. With its 4 legs, you can easily place them anywhere you like. Just make sure that it gets a proper power connection. The design, in short, is pretty classical and compact. This gives you the benefits of easy installation too.
Don’t judge the performance and heat output by the looks. e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove is quite powerful to heat your rooms that have an area of around 400 Square Feet. Heater works without making any sound, but you can adjust the speed for varying heat distribution. And, obviously, you have a no-heat option. Just like the other products in our list, you can connect this fireplace to a common household power outlet.
Temperature Control and Flame Control can be done from the front portion of the fireplace. There’s also an on-off switch to using. The best part is that you can keep the control panel closed, thus preventing kids from further problems. With all these cool features, the e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove is something you can trust. At the least, you won’t regret purchasing this.
What is an Electric Fireplace? Is it Good or Bad?
Now that you have checked out our electric fireplace reviews, we will talk a bit more about Electric Fireplaces, their good and bad aspects etc.
In the old days, homes used to have fireplaces — used for heating up the room as well as for ambience lighting. However, according to today’s conditions, these wood fireplaces and gas fireplaces are no longer suitable. They cause the emission of greenhouse gases and are very expensive. Electric Fireplaces were invented as a replacement for the real ones. These are pretty much like other fireplaces. It’s just that they use electric energy for creating the burning effect and heating the room. You can simply place an electric fireplace in the desired place and just switch on the outlet. In our electric fireplace review, we have covered different types of fireplaces, such as free standing ones and ones that need to be enclosed. So, in short, the process is very simple.
There is no fire going on inside electric fireplaces. Instead, realistic fire and flame effects are created — thanks to patented technologies. For common people, it will be more or less like a real file, with burning logs, dynamic effects and all. A heater is used for maintaining the temperature in the room. You can find different fireplaces with varying powers. Some can heat up a 1000 Square Feet room while some of them are limited to 400 Square Feet. Fans and blowers are used for distributing the air evenly. As you have seen in our reviews, most electric fireplace devices come with thermostat controls. That is, you can adjust the temperature using the remote or the knob. However, some devices have just temperature settings — two or three. It’s up to you to choose the control and safety. For instance, the best-of-the-best consideration in our review is Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace. It’s offering awesome control options as well as safety.
Of course, there are some advantages of using electric fireplaces instead of traditional ones. Some of them are:
- When compared to traditional counterparts, these are quite inexpensive. If you choose free-standing fireplaces, it will be possible to minimise maintenance costs too. You can get a fireplace in almost every budget, depending on the features you need.
- Energy Efficiency is another advantage of electric fireplaces over the gas or wood-based ones. You can connect it to a common household power outlet and there won’t be much resource consumption. You are also protecting the environment by shifting to electric. You are getting supplemental heating, which is nice and comfortable.
- Maintenance costs are very low for electric fireplaces if you pick one of the best choices. Once installed, you don’t have to worry about the device anymore. The only replacement you may need in the long run may be with the lighting bulbs.
- In comparison, electric fireplaces are way too safe, especially if you have kids at home. Except for the blower, no part of the fireplace gets hot. Although the effects are there, it does not heat up the glass cover. Also, when we consider the remote-based control offered, there is nothing unsafe about electric fireplaces.
- Last but not least, these are compatible with new home designs. You can easily create a blend between modern and traditional home designs, just by placing these types of fireplaces.
There are only a few cons of electric fireplaces. For instance, you may have an issue with the assembling part or realistic nature of the flame effect. So, in the end, these are really good. They are nature-friendly, affordable and cost you lower maintenance costs.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Electric Fireplace
Well, some factors need to be considered while picking up the best electric fireplace for your home. They are:
- Design: Electric Fireplaces come in different designs and forms. Some are free standing while some need assembly. Depending on your home design, you can choose the suitable design. If you have an existing space for fireplaces, you can choose an assembling model. This way, you can simply place the device inside the space.
- Assembling: Not many electric fireplaces come assembled. It means you have to assemble them by your own. It’s not a problem in most cases, thanks to the instructions guide. However, you need to check the assembling method before purchasing. If you are purchasing a free-standing fireplace, things are actually simple. At the least, you do not have to worry about moving your fireplace.
- Heat Output: This is a notable consideration if you need the fireplace to heat up your room. As we said, heaters are used for heating purposes. So, before purchasing, you should have a look at the performance of heater. It’s a good advantage if the device comes with a thermostat-based control. Almost all fireplaces come with a heater, but you have the option to turn it off.
- Control: Options for control vary within choices. Some fireplaces have a remote control for adjusting temperature and fan speed. You can also set a timer. However, some fireplaces stick onto the on front controls. You can turn the knobs to adjust these things.
- Budget: Of course, the price of the fireplace is an important consideration. If you are ready to compromise features and advanced options, you can get a bunch of budget-friendly choices. However, if you need longevity and cool features, it’s better to go with expensive ones.
- Features: Last but not least, we have additional features. These can be for utilities as well as safety. Some fireplace has an extra cover for protection, as in the case of e-Flame USA 25 Inch Black Portable Electric Fireplace Stove. If you have kids at home, it’s a good feature.
Before purchasing, you should also consider your clear purpose of the fireplace. If the main purpose is ambience, you can go for realistic flames and effects.
The Final Word
So, here you have our detailed electric fireplace reviews and some tips for choosing the best. We have added many options for different budgets. Some are very affordable, but compromise features and size. On the other hand, given that you’re ready to pay a bit more, the choices are a lot. So, in the end, when it comes to selection, it all depends on what you need and how much you can pay. But one thing is sure: if you choose any of the abovementioned fireplaces, you can bring an awesome ambience at your home, along with environment-friendliness and minimal cost.