- 1 Best Sleeping Bags – The Winners!!
- 2 Best Sleeping Bags – Our Top Picks 2017!
- 2.1 Top Pick — Outdoor Vitals – Down 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- 2.2 Best Buy — TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag
- 2.3 Contender #1 — TETON Sports Altos Ultralight Down Mummy Sleeping Bag
- 2.4 Contender #2 — Northstar Tactical Coretech Mummy, Multi-Layer Core Sleeping Bag
- 2.5 Contender #3 — Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag
- 2.6 Contender #4 — Coleman Brazos Cool Weather Sleeping Bag
- 2.7 Contender #5 — Outdoor Vitals OV-Light 35 Degree 3 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag
- 3 Introduction To Sleeping Bags
- 4 Benefits of Using a Sleeping Bag
- 5 Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Sleeping Bag
Last updated: April 9th 2017.
There are times when your tents and other camping stuff don’t create a comfortable space for you to sleep! You can’t keep huge stuff, either, because you need to save as much space as possible. That’s why we suggest the use of best sleeping bags, which fulfills the needs of space-saving as well as comfortable sleeping spaces. Despite the higher considerations, most people cannot choose the best sleeping bag for their needs, but end up in trouble.
When we decided to choose the best sleeping bag products from market, we spoke with a few backpackers and set up different rooms with different temperature levels. Then, we tried and analyzed each of shortlisted sleeping bags, discussing aspects like heat trapping, size, comfort, storage options and weight. We’ve tested all the products in various season settings, so that you are going to choose the best all-year-round sleeping bags for sure.
Best Sleeping Bags – The Winners!!
Best Sleeping Bags – Our Top Picks 2017!
Here are the best sleeping (Bags) reviewed by Uphomes’s experts team. Let’s take a look at individual Bag.
Are you looking for an ultra-compact yet well-performing sleeping bag? If you are ready to spend a bit more, this is our best recommendation. It’s available in Short and Regular sizes, and you can select depending upon your needs. We were amazed to find how good is the compression of this sleeping bag.
The weight of Outdoor Vitals – Down 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag has been brought down to 2lbs 13oz. Since the bag is using Down Filling, the compression is done to 11”x8”. We tested product in colder situations and the 800 Fill Power was enough to keep the cold air out.
According to other users, this sleeping bag is optimal for your intense trekking trips. In our case too, we had to unzip because the warmth was way too high. Judging by the dimensions, you won’t have trouble in being just fit and comfortable inside this bag.
Last but not least, you can get a compression bag for storage along with Outdoor Vitals – Down 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag. You are also getting an innovative design and proper usability. You can also have lifetime warranty from Outdoor Vitals, which is a good thing.
If you cannot spend much money on a sleeping bag, we recommend the TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag. An affordable solution for your all-the-round hiking and trekking trips, this one is offering the best-in-class performance as well.
This is best if you are a warm sleeper, because the bag has a survival rating of 0F, even in the toughest areas. The storage area is so spacious that two people can fit themselves snugly in this bag. It’s using a combination of cotton and fibre for insulation, which we found up to the expectations.
TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag measures 39”x90” and the weight is 7lbs. As you can see, its weight is somewhat high, but does the job. The plus point here is that you can combine two bags together, for two people. The zippers are comfortable to use as well.
In short, this sleeping bag is relatively bigger and offers standard performance, with respect to the price. It’s also possible to have the lifetime warranty from TETON Sports and adjustable options. So, we recommend it for your versatile backpacking adventures. You will also get the compression sack with this package.
Contender #1 — TETON Sports Altos Ultralight Down Mummy Sleeping Bag
If you are looking for a semi-premium sleeping bag, TETON Sports Altos Ultralight Down Mummy Sleeping Bag is an excellent solution. It’s a water resistant bag that uses MTR-DRY Down inside. It also combines high-quality construction from TETON, one of the prominent manufacturers of backpacking equipment.
One thing we loved in this sleeping bag is the option for selections. For instance, you can select the optimal temperature level from 0F, -10F and +20F. Depending on where you usually go, you should make the choice. We had tried the 0F Version, which performed well. You can also choose colour from Black, Red and Blue.
Comfort-wise, we spotted the 3-piece hood inside. This thing had offered the best comfort and support for our head during the whole night. With maximum dimensions of 84”x32”, the sleeping bag would simply accommodate most backpackers around. You are also getting the compression bag.
Conclusively, TETON Sports Altos Ultralight Down Mummy Sleeping Bag is the best solution for your all-the-year-round needs. it’s rugged built, customizable and quite spacious. You also get the lifetime warranty and the perks of being light.
Northstar Tactical Coretech Mummy, Multi-Layer Core Sleeping Bag is another affordable solution in this list of best sleeping bags, offering standard performance and comfort. As the name says, it has multiple layers for trapping down heat. You can get it in Black, Yellow and Blue colour variants.
The design of this bag is something unique, according to what we have seen. For instance, the extra layer at the chest position is too good for heat-trapping and consistent warmth distribution. This layer makes use of Siliconized Air Core Fill, which is good enough.
Coming to the design, Northstar Tactical Coretech Mummy, Multi-Layer Core Sleeping Bag weighs just 3.5lbs for fill and is measured at 86” x 36” x 24”. Of course, the space is enough for a common backpacker, with all sorts of comfort.
Considering all these, we are confident to recommend this affordable sleeping bag for all our visitors. It has a lot of things to offer, the extra layer being the best of them. In case if you did not know, it’s a 0F Sleeping bag, and would work all around a year.
Contender #3 — Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag
This is one of the most used sleeping bags in the low-budget category. The company claims that the bag is quite suitable for extreme weather conditions, and we found the same after 2 days of use. Unlike most the products mentioned above, Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag is made of 100% Polyester.
It’s also using a Polyester fill, which is combined with 60oz of Coletherm Insulation. Altogether, the bag was providing an excellent comfort at 15F. This is the best we had expected from such a budget-friendly sleeping bag.
Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag has not compromised in the sectors of build, in spite of its pricing. Thanks to the ComfortSmart Technology in use, we had received an awesome comfort level — all the way through night.
At 32” x 82”, it is bulky to be included in your backpack, but the comfort-level can surpass your expectations. If you are going for car camping, though, the product is awesome. You can also have the compression sack with the package, which is a good thing.
Contender #4 — Coleman Brazos Cool Weather Sleeping Bag
Coleman Brazos Cool Weather Sleeping Bag is the most affordable sleeping bag in the collection, which still offers a noticeable amount of performance and comfort. Just like the abovementioned product, the bag has been made with 100% Polyester and uses the same as the fill. That having said, there are differences too.
It has dimensions of 33” x 75”, which, in our experience, was enough for most people of 5ft 11in. So, you’ll not have trouble in fitting yourself in this sleeping bag, no matter where you are. Being completely made of Polyester, Coleman Brazos Cool Weather Sleeping Bag can be washed using a common machine.
The comfort offered by this sleeping bag was something commendable. The insulation was consistent and we got the same warmth, all over the night. It’s using the Filterlock Construction, which proved to be really effective. According to the claims in temperature ratings, the warmth was impressive.
When compared to the features and size, the weight of 4lbs is something reasonable. It needs to be noted that the sleeping bag is suited for temperature between 20F and 40F. If you need something out of these 2 levels, you can go with other recommendations. Summing up, it’s the perfect affordable choice.
With another all-season sleeping bag from Outdoor Vitals, we are concluding the list of the best sleeping bag you can get from the current market. When compared to other products, Outdoor Vitals OV-Light 35 Degree 3 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag is ultra-portable, lightweight and has a lower price tag too.
You can get the bag in Orange or Blue colour finishes and there are different zipper modes too. if you get 2 finishes, you can combine both to have a double sleeper bag, which is impressive. The weight is as low as 2lbs 2oz.
One thing to be noted here is that this sleeping bag has a temperature rating of 35F, which may not be good for extreme weather conditions. In our testing, the synthetic fill was providing enough warmth for almost all our needs. Also, the design is pretty durable.
Summing up all these, you won’t have trouble in getting along with Outdoor Vitals OV-Light 35 Degree 3 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag, under suitable circumstances. With the maximized accommodation area of 83” x 29”, almost anyone under 6’ 6” would be fine with this bag.
Introduction To Sleeping Bags
Now that we have reviewed and discussed the best sleeping bags you can purchase right now, we will have a brief introduction to sleeping bags and related aspects.
If you need a simple definition, a sleeping bag is a particular type of camping equipment used for sleeping. It can be made using different types of materials and the fillings inside. For instance, we have featured bags that are made using 100% Polyester. At the same time, there are down-based bags as well, offering you the best-in-class warmth to get moving.
As to the question why you should use a sleeping bag, there are multiple answers. First reason is that you’d not be able to carry a fully-fledged bedding when you go trekking or some other adventurous stuff. At those instances, the primary objective is to reduce backpack weight as much as possible. The second reason can be of the extra warmth and comfort that are offered.
As we said, there are different types of sleeping bags, and they are classified in terms of different aspects as well. For instance, if you consider the shape as the criteria, you’ll find Mummy Sleeping Bags and Rectangular Sleeping Bags. Similarly, if you are making the classifications based on the filling, there are Cotton, Down and Synthetic Fibre. You can also spot some combinations of these materials, depending on the budget.
These are the common aspects of a sleeping bag you should know. Now, we will move onto their noticeable advantages.
Benefits of Using a Sleeping Bag
Now, we will discuss some reasons why you should use a sleeping bag during your trekking tips. We will be brief about these reasons.
- First of all, Sleeping Bags are offering an extra amount of warmth. This is a great feature if you are in some extreme weather conditions, say rain or snow. Given that you have chosen a water-resistant bag; you won’t have trouble in dealing with any type of weather conditions. Also, there are all-season sleeping bags, which can be used during summer, fall and winter. It all comes down to how much you can pay for a sleeping bag at the end of the day.
- These bags are easy to carry, when compared to other camping equipment. The best part is that if you don’t have much to store, you can even get rid of the camp. Provided that you have purchased one of the best sleeping bags with minimal weight, you won’t have trouble in keeping that thing in your backpack.
- It’s a fact that sleeping bags don’t create extra warmth, but they are meant to trap heat inside. That is, you will not have any trouble in losing temperature, thanks to the extra finishes and the particular materials in use. This is pretty great, because you don’t have to worry about heat-loss and frozen situations in the morning.
- These sleeping bags can be used in almost any situation. There is no prerequisite to be noted here. On the other hand, you can keep the sleeping bag on a straight surface, tuck yourself inside and get the perfect sleep you imagined.
- There are different sleeping bags with varying temperature ratings. It’s important to choose the right one, so that you won’t end up in insufficient heat. Above, we have suggested the different types too. At the same time, our best sleeping bag recommendations are just fine for all-season trekking needs.
Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Sleeping Bag
We will take a quick look onto the noticeable considerations when you need to pick the right sleeping bag.
- Type of Sleeping Bag is an important factor here, and we have mentioned the popular types in above section as well. Depending on the requirements and preferences, you can choose Mummy types or the Rectangular type. Also, you should consider the warmth levels and your comfort before you make a pick from Down, Synthetic Fibre, Polyester, Cotton etc.
- Weight should also be a pivotal consideration, because you are going to carry this bag during all your trekking trips. Above, you can see sleeping bags of various weights and you can make the selection, according to the requirement. There are people who go for camping by car, in which case the over-weight isn’t an issue.
- Temperature Rating is perhaps the star of any sleeping bag, because it denotes the survival as well as comfort temperature. If a sleeping bag has a temperature rating of 0F, it means you will get ample amount of warmth even when the outside temperature is 0F. It means you should know about the place’s common temperature before choosing the temperature rating. If you think the temperature can go below than 0F, there are options too.
- Dimensions play an important role, not in case of storage but also the accommodation capacity. At the end of the day, you should be able to include your full body inside the bag. So, you should check the proper size and dimensions before buying. And, there may be people who like to create a double sleeping bag, in which case you need to purchase compatible products.
- Last but not least, you should consider Additional Features like Hood can be considered. These are good when you need a good night’s sleep with comfort. In our list, we have covered some products with customizable features too. for instance, there are sleeping bags with an extra layer and a hood that can be adjusted according to your sleeping position.
Well, these are the best sleeping bags we came across in our reviewing sessions, and of course, best ones in the current market. So, no bar the selection, you will find the optimal product for the price you are ready to pay. We do highly recommend adjusting the pricing according to the requirement, though. That is, when you really need to create a double sleeping bag, make sure that you get the compatible duo. Otherwise, all your efforts can be in trouble. Similarly, it is worth noting that most of our recommended products are coming with lifetime warranty, that too from a popular manufacturer. That is one of the best ways to be confident about what you’re buying.