- 1 Best Tankless Water Heater 2017 – The Winners!
- 2 Top Tankless Water Heater Models Reviews 2017
- 3 Why Tankless Water Heaters?
- 4 Benefits of using Tankless Water Heater
- 5 Considerations for Choosing the Best Tankless Water Heater
Last updated: June 3rd 2017.
Are you losing a lot of money in an attempt to constantly heat up water and see a major shoot up in your electricity bill? There is a tested and tried the effective solution for your problem with the not so conventional and advanced water heating system in form of Tankless Water Heater. Oh! Just forgot to mention the water heater gives you an endless supply of hot water with reduced energy consumption and show a significant change in your monthly electricity bill. One of the exclusive features that makes it stand out is it allows heating of water only when required in small quantity instead of using a lot of energy in heating the entire large capacity water tank. Tankless water heaters don’t let the energy and heat to escape which means quick heating. They are great products for homes with space constraint as they are small in size and don’t require a lot of space. If you want to save energy and money this is something that you definitely need.
Best Tankless Water Heater 2017 – The Winners!
Top Pick – Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus
Are you looking for something that has advanced and automatic control mechanism and help you save bucks on your electricity bill? If you are looking for the best without any budget constraint we recommend Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric as it is best in the market with guaranteed reliability.
Best Buy – Eco Smart ECO 27 Electric
We understand that not everyone is high on a budget but is still seeking for best features at affordable price. We recommended Eco Smart ECO 27 Electric as the best budget water heater in the market after thorough research and drawing a comparison. It is highly energy efficient with easy operating features.
Top Tankless Water Heater Models Reviews 2017
Hoping on to a completely new product and changing traditional ways is difficult and to make it easy for you, we have personally made a complete research on all the products listed individually. All the products mentioned below are tested and tried and hence recommended to you. The top pick, budget pick and mentions of all the contenders are research of almost one complete year. This is a comprehensive guide about tankless water heaters with features and benefits that will help you streamline your choice.
OUR TOP PICK AND MOST RECOMMENDED – Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric
Stiebel Eltron brings to you Tempra Plus 24 model which is electric on demand water heater with advanced technological features and is a great replacement for your conventional water heaters. It is equipped with flow control mechanism that keeps a constant temperature despite high or low demand for hot water. The heater is the top recommendation because it not only save energy and reduce your electricity bill but gives satisfying experience in terms of in terms of usage. The best tankless water heater award is rightly deserved by the product also because of the transparency the company maintains in disclosing a wide array of facts and figures.
It is the best tankless water heater in the market currently because it is highly reliable with constant temperature and maintains the flow without fluctuation. The advanced flow control mechanism is the biggest asset to this heater bringing it up to the top position in our list. The unit can function at either 240 Volts or 208 Volts which vary depending on the electricity power of house. The heater supports digital support to keep an eye on the operation. The heating element or heat exchanger engage in heating only when required and thus makes it 99% efficient and the efficiency with help you save around 15-20% on your electricity bill. The 24KW or 82,000 BTU model gives a flow rate of 2.6GPM at 40°F and it can rise to a maximum level of 5.4GPM at 75°F.
- The heater is equipped with Tempra Advanced Flow Control which is the main highlight and it keeps water output flow at a constant temperature. With this feature demand of hot water is met instantly by not allowing water to cool down.
- The temperature settings and overall operation of the machine can be visualized and operated easily with digital temperature display.
- It has a sleek and compact design and is a great product for homes or any complex where space is a major constraint.
- There is the three-year limited warranty on the product but the only validity for three years is when the product is installed by a licensed installer. It is thus highly recommended that you get the heater only installed by a professional person.
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY – EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric
The popularity of the tankless water heater has spread its wings in the market and is the best budget buy with smart and eco-friendly features. The unit is affordable and cheaper than many similar products and was found to be highly efficient. It is an electric-run model and doesn’t require an installation of pipes or vents as seen in natural gas or propane based models. The electric on-demand tankless water heater is perfect for small house, apartments etc as it not very powerful as the propane or natural gas models. Another amazing reason why it is the best bang for your buck is its due to its lifetime warranty.
It is based on eco-friendly operations and with reduction of power usage, it helps in cutting almost 50% of your cost related to heaters. It is integrated with advanced and self-modulating technology for reducing electricity bill. It is a 27kw water heater separated in three units with each of 9KW and thus for heating a small amount of water only 9 or 18KW energy can be used instead of full 27kw. It requires a 240Volts power supply for heating in a single phase. It enables the user to manually control the temperature with 1-degree increment till the suitable temperature is set. The water heater is perfect for heating water at a temperature as low as 37°F and is capable of heating around 3 gallons per minute that can be used in two showers simultaneously. It is also able to handle 6 gallons of water per minute that can run four showers and sink simultaneously. It has a heat output of approximately 92,000 BTUs with different flow rates of 3GPM and 6GPM depending on the installation area in the US.
- It has patented self-modulating technology which facilitates less consumption of power and heats only small amount of water with efficient savings in your electricity bill. It is eco-friendly and heats water only when required which helps you save around 50% cost related to water heating.
- It provides endless hot water and doesn’t store water like the traditional water tanks but instead heat the water that passes through the unit.
- It is a top choice when it comes to design and compactness because it is sleek and can be mounted on the wall which is great for homes, apartments or properties with space constraint.
- The digital display is an important feature as it allows the user to check the heater temperature and manually adjust it with at a time 1-degree increment.
- The water heater has limited but lifetime warranty on the unit but for it to be eligible it should be installed by a professional. Make sure your home has required an electrical capacity for the installation purpose.
It is a gas powered eco-friendly tankless water heater which is designed and built to support small and space restricted homes. It is not suitable for large properties but is perfect for homes, apartments, cabin etc and support low flow rate of hot water when needed. It is designed with aesthetic outlook, compact and sleek with powerful ventilation for safety and efficiency of usage. It supports more than one hot water application and is highly recommended based on personal experience for smaller homes.
It is a natural gas based indoor tankless water heater which supports more than one hot water application and is suitable for variable water requirement quantity. It has a ready to install vent made of stainless steel for releasing out the natural gas while heating. It can be operated using 110 Volt power cords which can sufficiently power the exhaust and digital display. It has True 1/2″ NPT water fittings and has manual water temperature control. The eco-friendly water heater helps in efficient energy conservation by using 2 Watts of energy when ideal and 10 Watts of energy during the operation. The tankless water heater requires the power of 120Volt for its operation with 79% hot water capacity range. It has a flow rate of 3.4GPM along with heat output of 74,500 BTU.
- It is operated using natural gas and has sleek, modern design with true 1/2″ NPT fittings and the stainless steel made vent kit is readily installed for releasing out the gas safely. The safety and efficiency are maintained via power ventilation.
- It is perfect for small space like cottage, homes, apartments etc as it is powered by natural gas and heats water only when required in small quantity. This reduces the overall energy consumption and gives a relief to you in the electricity bill.
- It has manual water temperature control for adjusting the required temperature and has around 4GPM flow capacity.
- It has an Electronic Ignition system of 74,000 BTU and the system can be activated at the lower water pressure of 40 PSI minimum.
- It has a digital temperature display that is integrated with fully independent gas and water controls.
- It has 2 years of warranty on the heater but it is recommended that you get it installed by a certified professional.
The unit from Takagi is one of the smallest models in tankless water heater category and is the right choice for small homes or other dwelling places. It is powered by natural gas and with inclusive of large connection, it allows a higher rate of flow. It helps in conservation of power and reduces wastage of energy by turning itself off in the case of overheating. The efficiency of the water heater is almost equivalent to 40-gallon tank water heater and is powerful than the electric model. It is small but can keep up the demands of hot water in smaller homes.
The small but high performing natural gas powered water heater has a BTU input of 19,500 to 140,000 BTU per hour. The efficiency allows a maximum flow rate of around 6.6 GPM at 35°F temperature and supports 3.3 GPM at 70°F. The tankless water heater has an efficiency of 82% and thus makes it a great non-condensing heater with the use of only one heat exchanger that heats the water that passes through it instantly. The heater heats a small amount of water at a time and is sufficient for providing hot water to at least two bathrooms simultaneously. It was tested for its eco-friendly feature and was found to comply with low NOx emission standards leading to reduced emission.
- It is a natural gas based product which reduces energy consumption by instantly heating water that passes through its single heat exchanger. It leads to heating of a small quantity of water.
The tankless heater is equipped with built-in freeze protection, overheat cut-off fuse, manual reset hi-limit and flame sensor for enhanced safety for users.
- It keeps the environment safe and is eco-friendly as it emits a low amount of NOx in the environment as compared to other water heaters.
- It is integrated with inlet and outlet thermostats which help in monitoring the temperature. However, the installation of the heater should be done by professionals for the perfect set-up.
- The indoor heater can be switched to direct vent system and with this, the heater brings combustible air from outside and allows the storage of the heater in very small space. It is recommended to install a backflow preventer in the non-condensing indoor model as exhaust gas leave in form of heat and may be a problem in extremely cold areas.
The tankless water heater from Rinnai made its entry in the review of top heaters because it is powerful and is capable of powering multiple appliances and bathrooms simultaneously with hot water. It is generally powered by natural gas but if required can be converted into a propane powering model. In terms of installation although it can be vented from the top but could be made in the horizontal direction and it gives the user option to mount via wall or roof. The major highlight of the product is it offers large temperature range and in that term is best amongst all models. The efficiency of this heater is on an average of 82% which means reduced energy consumption and save more money on the electricity bill.
The model gives an average thermal efficiency of 82% and gives the high-end performance. It has BTU unit of 10,300 – 180,000 BTU which is capable of delivering around 7.5 gallons of hot water per minute (GPM). The water heater comes with a digital controller for visualizing the temperature and also has an error code indicator in case of any internal operational faults. The water heater has commercial grade heat exchanger which can be used for both residential and commercial applications. It has residential temperature settings of 98°F – 140°F and commercial temperature settings in the range of 98°F – 160°F.
- It comes with scale control system which reduces limescale corrosion within the heater unit by delivering a special blend of compounds in the flowing water. The process extends the life of the unit.
- It is equipped with a temperature controller and by using MC-91-2US digital controller the user can manually control the temperature.
- The temperature lock system prevents any uncalled change to the water temperature. Also, external pump works at pre-set intervals and temperatures and this circ-logic circulation program save money on recirculation system.
- With the help of EZConnect, you can connect three or more units together and thus the efficiency of water heating is further enhanced.
- It has one year warranty on heat exchanger and 5 years of warranty on the parts. It is recommended that the set up be installed by professional so that you get 1 year of labour warranty for installations in residence.
Why Tankless Water Heaters?
The conventional model of water heater has a huge tank which not only occupies a lot of space but uses more energy by heating the complete tank every time there is a requirement for hot water. The repeated heating and energy utilization falls heavy on your electricity bill. A very simple solution to all these problems is the installation of the tankless water heater which reduces the amount of energy consumed and decreases energy bill. Here are few reasons why Tankless Water Heaters should be installed instead of the traditional heaters.
- It reduces the amount of energy required or consumed as it boils water only when it is required for a shorter period of water in small volumes.
- With consumption of less energy, there is a decrease in the electricity bill every month which means saves money.
- Their life span is longer than the traditional heaters as they are not run frequently and require less energy for rapid heating.
- They are smaller is size as they store large volumes of water for heating and is great for homes with space constraint.
- These are some of the major and exclusive reasons why this product is a must purchase and a better investment than the traditional heaters. We have checked a number of heaters and found the tankless water heaters most promising in terms of effectiveness and budget. Although it might come with an initial price tag but will continue to give lower electricity bill with less energy consumption.
Benefits of using Tankless Water Heater
There are many benefits of choosing a tankless water heater over the conventional models and for the starters it helps in reduced energy consumption and lower electricity bill. It is very important for you as a buyer to know the benefits of the product and how it is better than the traditional models.
Efficiency – They are more efficient that the conventional models and gives hot water supply with help of “on-demand” technology and provide hot water via water valve. The water heats up when it passes through the heat exchanger and thus saves lot of energy in the process. The models are able to pump a high volume of water that helps you save money on the monthly bill.
Reliable – The tankless water heaters are more reliable as compared to the traditional ones as they don’t store water in the tanks and instantly heat limited amount of water. It is easy to fix the product and the tankless technology leads to fewer cases of damage or technical default as there is no tank that can blast. It has a higher lifespan and if used properly can work for around 20+ years.
Environment-Friendly – The heaters are designed and built in an eco-friendly manner and reduced energy consumption means lesser greenhouse gas emissions in the environment. There are many brands that specifically produce an eco-friendly product to reduce carbon footprint and maximise cleaner environment.
Convenient – The water heater is a very convenient product as it is compact and can be stored in very small space. The heaters simultaneously provide hot water to multiple bathrooms, kitchen sink, dishwasher and many other appliances. The demand for hot water is always met using this device and is great for small homes or places with space constraint.
Safe and User-friendly – It is equipped with many safety features that reduce any mishaps and accidents. The product is designed in a way that it doesn’t build rust or other contaminants and in turn constantly give us clean and fresh hot water. The safety features to ensure that it is user-friendly and safe for operation.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Tankless Water Heater
Before making the final purchase or while choosing for the tankless water heater there are certain must considerations that need to be checked right. Don’t ever buy the product without looking for these factors in them.
Heat Output & Flow
The main reason to buy the product is reduced energy consumption as it heats water only when required. With so many brands and types of the product heat, output and flow rate is an essential check. There are two main units – one for heat output measured in BTU(British Thermal Units) or KW(Kilowatts) and other is the volume of water delivered measured in GPM(Gallons per minute). It is important to select the product with right values of both so that you get enough hot water with lower consumption of power.
The products are powered by electricity, natural gas and propane and it need to be selected based on your requirement. It all depends on what your home supports and how much capacity you need. There are few homes which have only one fuel source and in such case, one should opt of the water heater with that particular power source. But in the case of a home that supports both choosing one depends on what you need. Electric models are expensive but require less maintenance than the gas models. Gas and propane models need yearly servicing but have more serving capacity. The choice all depends on the location and if you stay in a colder area you need a more powerful heater that makes the gas or propane model the right choice.
Installation & Use Factors
Tankless Water Heaters are available in both gas and electric model but the installation for both varies. It is recommended that in both cases it should be installed by a professional. The major difference is the requirement of the ventilation in case of gas or propane heaters but it is not required in case of electric models.
It is one of the most important aspects to consider while purchasing a tankless water heater. The product must have good features for better operation. It should have temperature adjustment or control system to adjust the temperature using a simple knob. Alternatively, it should have automated flow controls for right temperature settings and adjustment. The safety features like automatic power cut-off, freeze – control etc should be checked. The presence of digital display makes it easy for the user to view and analyze the operational settings. The warranty should be also checked before purchasing the product.
They are known for their reduced consumption of energy and some models are also eco-friendly that helps prevent damage to the environment with reduced emission. It is advised to always opt for a model with Energy Star Certifications to promote the greener environment and reduce carbon footprint.
This is another important consideration along with features which are why we made a complete research with personal trial and recommended the best buy within budget. It is definitely not a cheap product as it tends to work for years but purchasing one with all the above is a wise choice. The review lists all the units that are feature rich and within your price bucket with a top budget recommendation as well.
Wrap – Up
The review is a comprehensive guide to help you buy the most suitable product according to your requirement and necessity. All the recommendations made in the review are results of careful study of the products with their use and it took us over a year to bring the best list to you. If you want to save energy consumption, reduce your monthly electricity, have space constraint and need a long lasting hot water on-demand supply unit, this is the right choice to make. What are you waiting for? Make the purchase immediately and save bucks on your bill for the lifetime.