- 1 Best Toaster Oven – The Winners!
- 2 Best Toaster Ovens 2017 – Reviews
- 2.1 Top Pick Review: Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven
- 2.2 Best Buy Review: Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven
- 2.3 Contender #1 — KitchenAid KCO273SS 12″ Convection Bake Digital Countertop Oven
- 2.4 Contender #2 — Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven
- 2.5 Contender #3 — BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven
- 2.6 Contender #4 — Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven
- 2.7 Contender #5 — Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler
- 3 Why Toaster Ovens?
- 4 Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Toaster Oven
Last updated: June 3rd 2017.
Just as everything is getting smarter, toaster ovens are doing the same. Every manufacturer is trying to bring some newer features. Some give a focus for design portability while others have an emphasis on smart features like pre-set cooking modes. So, when it comes to choosing the best toaster oven for the different purpose, we needed a bit more time for testing. Firstly, we had to test different cooking material in each toaster oven. We had tried making cookies, toasting bread along with a bunch of additional tasks.
We have tried almost all aspects of every oven in this, with an extensive hands-on experience. At the end of testing and comprehensive reviewing, we have come down to the best two Quick Recommendations for you. If you do not have much time, just pick one of these quick choices.
Best Toaster Oven – The Winners!
Top Pick – Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven
If you need an expensive toaster oven with reasonable features, Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven Convection is the best choice. It is compact and has an elegant design. Moreover, we found some cool, smarter features for cooking. For the price you pay, you are getting a multipurpose cooking appliance.
Best Buy – Oster Large Capacity
Oster Large Capacity Countertop Digital Convection Toaster Oven is the best buy toaster oven we’ve come across in our review series. It does have a different style when compared to traditional toaster ovens. Despite the lower dimensions in outside, the toaster is spacious enough for various recipes.
As said, many factors were considered for choosing the best ones. The first part was testing: we had to toast bread and cook some other dishes to confirm the quality of toasting and heating. Also, it needs to be noted that we had done a primary filtering for choosing products. That is, we had a few factors for refining the list. We had got way-too-expensive ovens and low-quality products off the list. Also, on the list was to be practically useful, we had depended upon user reviews as well. This was, then combined with our own experience at UpHomes Labs.
Talking about the testing at UpHomes Labs, consistency was the decision-maker. We did not just want the performance but needed it to be prolonged and consistent. That is, regardless what we were toasting, the results were to be awesome. Other notable factors were usability and smarter-cooking features. Though it took us more than a few hours, we have all the confidence to recommend the following toaster ovens.
Now, we will move onto the best toaster ovens we’ve had in the review series.
Best Toaster Ovens 2017 – Reviews
Top Pick Review: Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven
We chose Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven as the top pick for many reasons: a few of them being elegant design, advanced functionality, and better capacity. When compared to these features, we found its price to be really reasonable. Breville has been one of the most trusted kitchens appliance manufacturer. And, this toaster oven is one of the regularly-updated cooking appliances from the firm.
Outer dimensions of Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven are 18.8” x 16.2” x 11.25”. It is capable of toasting six bread slices or a 13” pizza at a time. When we tried baking some cookies, it accommodated a good number. The housing is made of Stainless Steel and the warming tray has a ribbed plate. Something we loved in the design is the Auto-Eject feature in the rack. This feature was found to be useful for cleaning trays easily. The inside construction material is comparatively superb and durable, as per long-term users are saying.
Coming to performance, you need to note that Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven is for sure an awesome choice. It comes with five Quarts heating elements, which are adjusted in order to give the best level of heating temperature for all substances. Regardless what we put — bread slices, cookies or bagels — the final results were consistent and of optimal quality. Depending on the type of cooking you need, the toaster oven will choose the optimal temperature and optimize the use of Quarts elements.
In comparison, Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven happens to be the most usable one as well. There are nine different cooking modes to choose from — Toast, Bake, Roast, Bagel, Broil, Pizza, Cookies, Reheat and Warm. You can simply choose one mode and set the timer. It also has one of the finest LCD Screens. The indications were quick and recognizable. So, we had no problem to know the dish was done. These smart options were surely an addition to advanced usability.
Wrapping up, Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven is the best toaster oven if you do have multiple cooking needs.
Even while choosing the best-buy product, we needed to have top-notch quality. And, Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven was the excellent option we stumbled upon. Despite what the name says, it is one compact and easy to use the toaster oven for all needs. People love this toaster oven for many reasons, especially for the versatile set of functions.
Judging by the actual dimensions of 22.5” x 18.1” x 14.6”, this toaster oven does the job of space management very well! Coming to the interior, the space has been brought to 13” x 9”. It means you can easily place different kinds of casseroles inside, if you want. When we tried toasting bread, placing 6 pieces was an easy task. There are two rack positions, which we can choose according to the dish. If you like to roast chicken, for instance, you can use the lower rack. In short, the interior of this Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven is up to the mark, for the price you pay.
If you look at the performance aspect of Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven, you can be sure of one thing — it won’t let you down, regardless what you are baking, roasting or toasting. It comes with a wider temperature range of 150 Degrees to 450 Degrees. All the controls are digital and there is no question on accuracy. Summing up, the convection technology was more than sufficient.
Controls of Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven are simply beautiful. On the right side of the product, there’s a fully-fledged, digital control bar. From this board, you can select the type of cooking, temperature and time. The single requirement is a simple test. Thanks to the digital arrangement, we found it easy to get things done in Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven. We’d tried each of the pre-set templates. All of them were clocked at the optimal temperature.
If you are looking for a lower-priced toaster oven, Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection Toaster Oven is the best choice.
As the first contender, we have KitchenAid KCO273SS 12″ Convection Bake Digital Countertop Oven, which is noted for its standard features and options. We did not find any fancy features in here, but the overall performance was with par. That having said, this toaster oven has almost all the features you’d need for smarter toasting, baking or roasting. Talking about its design, it’s standard and comes in dimensions of 18” x 16.1” x 12.1”. At these dimensions, the product is offering some sort of extraordinary toasting space. We tried putting a 12-inch pizza inside the cavity and it fitted well. Thanks to its non-stick coating, cleaning the oven was a matter of easiness.
We were equally impressed by the performance of KitchenAid KCO273SS 12″ Convection Bake Digital Countertop Oven, especially due to the Even-Heat Technology. The heat distribution was fine for all the available modes, and pizzas, toasted bread and cookies do taste awesome. Also, you don’t have to worry about optimal temperature, as it comes with 9 pre-set cooking modes. Just pick the right mode and you will get an exceptional cooking experience. Also, the accurate timer of 120 Minutes makes thing accurate and timely for all users out there. Another thing we loved about this toasting oven is that it comes with necessary accessories.
In short, KitchenAid KCO273SS 12″ Convection Bake Digital Countertop Oven is an excellent option for those who need a mid-budget but versatile toaster.
Contender #2 — Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven
Are you looking for an effective toaster oven cum multifunctional cooking appliance for your small kitchen? In that case, you should have a look at Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven. As the name says, it’s a mini toaster oven that has smaller dimensions of 16” x 13” x 9”. It means you can store it with less space, but the features remain the same — in fact, you’d get the same features you had found in the full-size version. In the interior, you can place up to 4 bread slices for toasting and a pizza of 11” size. You don’t get any other accessories with the package, except for a baking pan. In the first look, its design is classy and suitable for small homes.
Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven is powered by Element IQ Heating Technology and has a wattage of 1800. However, the number of heating elements has been brought down to 4 and there’s no convention heating. Despite all these lower specs, the toaster oven did perform well in our test series. The toasted bread were, and the results were awesome with other pre-set functions we’d chosen. The functions — Bake, Roast, Toast, Cookies, Reheat, Bagel and Broil — can easily be selected using the LCD Screen and the selector knob. We found the features to be awesome, for that matter.
In short, Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven is an effective choice for your versatile toasting and oven needs, at the medium budget.
Contender #3 — BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven
BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven is the most affordable yet best toaster oven you can go for. Needless to say, it does not compromise quality or build. Talking of the design, you can have this product in a Black or Stainless Steel finish. This is too cool for a common kitchen, especially considering the lower dimensions. At 10” x 15.5” x 8.4”, there is no trouble in storing this oven. However, as per the experience, we had, placing 4 bread slices was an easy job. Or, if you are cooking a pizza, you can easily fit a 9-inch pizza. We were amazed to find how BLACK+DECKER had arranged so much space inside such a low-sized product.
One thing that may disappoint you in BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven is the lack of LCD Screen. You’re also restricted to four functions — Bake, Broil, Toast and Keep Warm. There is also a Ready Indicator types. All the controls are done through knobs, which are placed on the right side. You can also select the preferred cooking mode from using the same knobs. We found the 30-minute timer to be accurate and the stay-on function is just cool for longer cooking. When we needed to cook a time-taking dish, it provided us with all the good stuff. You also get the 2-year warranty and the standard set of accessories with it.
If you are looking for the best toaster oven that’s also the cheapest, BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven is the ultimate option for you.
Contender #4 — Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven
If you have a medium budget and the requirement of versatility, you can check out Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven. Despite the comparatively lower budget, this was one of the ovens that stole our mind while testing. Design-wise, Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven has a blend of elegance and the traditional ones. As you can see in the image, the control buttons are placed below, and the LCD screen is barely noticeable. Judging by outer dimensions of 13” x 12” x 10.2”, we’d call it something compact. However, there’s no doubt in the internal area, which is good for 4 slices of bread and up to 9-inch pizza cooking.
Performance is where Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven steals the show. It is using double-infrared technology, which finishes the toasting or baking 40% faster. The effectiveness of heating can be seen in the quality of all dishes we had tried. Also, there are six pre-set cooking menus — Ranging from Pizza and Toast to Waffle and Roll. Along with that, you have the ultimate control panel for temperature controls. Although the control board looks boring, it’s truly awesome in effect. And, the best thing — you get almost all the required baking accessories in the package. Panasonic is a trusted brand for quality and users have been loving this product for a long while.
Go for Panasonic PAN-NB-G110PW Flash Xpress Toaster Oven if you need a mid-budget solution for versatile baking and true toasting.
Contender #5 — Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler
Our last recommendation in this review but still one of the best toaster oven solutions, Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler is a good choice for medium budget. it comes with a compact design but does not compromise it in the case of productive features. Despite the small design, we can add up to 6 slices of bread for the single toasting session. If you are preparing a pizza or bagel, the choices may vary, though. The outer dimensions are 18.5” x 16.9” x 10” and it’s so compact for a toaster oven at this price. The overall design does not look innovative, but the standard options have been placed in an ergonomic manner.
There are different pre-set buttons for cooking, especially for Pizza, Bake, Broil, Bagel, Reheat, Defrost and Toast. You can shift between these buttons by just pressing on the corresponding electronic buttons. The same easiness is there when you want to set the oven timer or clean the interior after cooking. In our testing, the oven was able to keep its temperature steady for all dishes. While toasting the bread slices, we had found the same heating patterns all around. With Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, you get the 3-year limited warranty, which is a worthwhile addition.
Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler is the best choice if you need a simple yet powerful toast oven without spending much for fancy features.
Why Toaster Ovens?
You might be wondering why you need toaster ovens at your kitchens? We’ve got some convincing reasons to start with.
- #1 Save TimeUsing a toaster oven, you can save a lot of time from your schedule. Of course, this happens when we compare cooking durations of traditional methods and a brand-new toaster oven. Nowadays, as we have seen above, toaster ovens do offer exciting features and technology. For instance, we can take the case of the Convection technology, which makes the heat reach all parts of the food prepared. When you are living a professional life or a single-life, a toaster oven can help you in different ways.
- #2 Smarter CookingMost toaster ovens come with some additional features and smart controls. On top of all, there are pre-set functions you can use for cooking. That is, depending on what you do — Creating a cookie or a pizza or just toasting your bread — you’ll be able to choose one mode from the available choices. It’s so optimal that you don’t have to worry about temperature or the time limits. In short, if you are purchasing a smart toaster oven, you are going to have a better cooking experience ahead.
- #3 Ultra PerformanceWhen we compare toaster ovens to traditional ovens, there are some cool differences. First of all, these ovens do offer a lot of better performance. You don’t really have to wait hours in front of a toaster oven to get the job done. In fact, it will take a lower time, as you might have experienced with a microwave oven. And, the best part is that toaster ovens will not cost you anything near the traditional ones. And, they also have minimal consumption of electricity in the long run.
So, if we bring all these points together, having a toaster oven is surely an advantage for your life and better cooking. And, if you are going to use one of the best toaster ovens we’ve mentioned above, one thing is sure: you can always have the best-in-class taste for the products you cook. Let that be bread slices, cookies, bagels or some fully-fledged pizzas.
Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Toaster Oven
We have listed the best in market toasted ovens above. However, you may have a choice, depending on the preferences. It does not matter which one you choose, you should consider the following factors before finalizing.
- #1 Capacity and DesignCapacity is one of the major factors you should look for if you need to pick the best toaster oven. Given that you would be using the oven for toasting bread or making pizzas, we can use them as the standards. You can have toaster ovens in an extreme variety of capacities — starting from 4-slice. If you are living alone, you may be okay with the 4-slice toaster. We do recommend the 6-slice toaster ovens if you are purchasing the oven for family purposes. Obviously, you should seek better capacity if you are planning to cook some pizza or some bigger dishes inside. There even are ovens that let you cook full chicken dishes inside.
- #2 Heating ModeThe mode of heating is important for every toaster oven. It’s so because you need to know how heat distribution works in the long run. Nowadays, you can find different ovens with varying heating elements. For instance, our best pick oven is having a convection heating system with 4 Quarts elements. This one is proven to be quite effective for bringing heat into overall substance. So, before hitting the Buy Now button, you should have a look at the heating method. In the end, this method can have a huge impact on the cooking time and ease of usage.
- #3 Controls — Smart or Not?This is another question you must have about purchasing the best toaster oven. You won’t be purchasing the oven solely for the sake of toasting. At times, you will have to roast, bake or reheat things. So, it makes sense to ensure that the oven has support for varying controls. You don’t really need to have 10s or 20s of pre-set controls. It’s more than great if you’d come across 6 or 9 pre-set cooking conditions. So, the next time you have some leftovers to reheat, you can simply press the corresponding button — and, Tada. By the way, if you are really into the world of cooking and loves to experiments with dishes, you can try some customizable ovens too. Also, it’s good to go with ovens that have LCD Screens for control.
- #4 Usability and CleaningThese may seem to be unnecessary in the first look. However, in fact, usability is one of the prime considerations for best toaster ovens around. Before purchasing, you should see if the design and portability are enough for your usage. If you’re living in a small house, for instance, you may not have enough space for a full-sized toaster oven. In that case, it would be better to go for a mini oven or a compact oven, for that matter. The same care should be given to the easiness of cleaning. It’s great to have a non-sticky plate and easily-cleanable surface.
Along with these major factors, you can consider the included accessories and the finishes. Talking more about finishes, it is good to have a finish that suits your kitchen design philosophy. In the above set of reviews and recommendations, we have considered all these points. So, the best thing you can do is to read our opinion and choose the one for your particular need. And trust us, you won’t regret.
This is how you can find and purchase the best toaster oven for your day-to-day or occasional baking purposes. As we had said earlier, all these ovens have been thoroughly used and reviewed. So, you don’t have to worry about the viability or any of related stuff. Instead of all these, you can focus on the desired output and find the choice from the top recommended products or the contenders. Happy toasting, anyway, folks.